//Insert $user into a path
Insert $user into a path2018-02-09T23:56:00+00:00

The Toolkit Forums General Insert $user into a path

• Author
    Participant

Hello,

I am using “$User=Get-LoggedOnUser”
    and I would like to use this:
    Copy-File -Path “$dirSupportFiles\com.iliumsoft.ewallet.plist” -destination “C:\Users\$user\AppData\Roaming\com.iliumsoft.ewallet.plist”

But instead I get this:
    [02-09-2018 17:54:36.352] [Post-Installation] [Copy-File] :: Copy file in path [C:\Users\ME\Desktop\Ilium Software\eWallet\8.3.5.35516\x86\SupportFiles\com.iliumsoft.ewallet.plist] to destination [C:\Use
    rs\PSADT.QueryUser+TerminalSessionInfo\AppData\Roaming\].

Thoughts? I am pretty new to PoSh in general…
    Thanks!

• Matthew
    Participant

Get- LoggedOnUser
    Synopsis: Get session details for all local and RDP logged on users.
    Description:
    Get session details for all local and RDP logged on users using Win32 APIs. Get the following session details: NTAccount, SID, UserName, DomainName, SessionId, SessionName, ConnectState, IsCurrentSession, IsConsoleSession, IsUserSession, IsActiveUserSession, IsRdpSession, IsLocalAdmin, LogonTime, IdleTime, DisconnectTime, ClientName, ClientProtocolType, ClientDirectory, ClientBuildNumber

So how can I use this to insert the currently logged on user?

• Francois
      Participant

Hi,

Why not using an active-setup?

Thanks,

• Jim
    Participant

How about something like this?

foreach ($LoggedOnUserSession in $LoggedOnUserSessions) {
    [string[]]$UserProfile = (Get-UserProfiles | Where-Object {$_.NTAccount -eq $LoggedOnUserSession.NTAccount}).ProfilePath
    Copy-File -Path “$dirSupportFiles\com.iliumsoft.ewallet.plist” -destination “$UserProfile\AppData\Roaming\com.iliumsoft.ewallet.plist”
    }

• Francois
      Participant

Hi,

The problem with that solution is you will catch already existing profiles. But at a moment a new user will logon and then you will not get it.

Thanks,

• Jim
      Participant

Francois, yeah, I know. He was looking for logged on users, so that’s what I figured he was looking to do.

• Jim
    Participant

If you need to copy the file to all profiles including the default user so that new users get it to you can do this…

[string[]]$ProfilePaths = Get-UserProfiles | Select-Object -ExpandProperty 'ProfilePath'

foreach ($ProfilePath in $ProfilePaths) {
    Copy-File -Path “$dirSupportFiles\com.iliumsoft.ewallet.plist” -destination “$ProfilePath\AppData\Roaming\com.iliumsoft.ewallet.plist”
    }

• Matthew
      Participant

I am using Jim’s suggestion as it really solves any issues I currently have and may encounter.

I definitely need to start learning PoSh! Thanks Jim and thanks everyone else for the quick replies. I am now able to deploy this software domain-wide with no issues.

• Jim
      Participant

Matthew, glad to help. If you have any more questions, ask away

• Matthew
    Participant

I appreciate the replies.

I will deploy this via SCCM with the condition that a user “must be logged in”. So technically I only need the currently logged in user. I’ve done this many times in batch by querying the registry and getting “username@domain.com”, and then trimming off “@domain.com.”

I could also make two deployments: 1) Workstation only deployment (software install) that has a dependent 2) user only deployment – I can copy the file in “user context” in which I can use the username variable.

With all that said, I’d also like to move all “non-standard” deployments to PSADT as a standard. I don’t want a mixture of batch/VBS/PS/PSADT as eventually I’ll leave and I don’t want the next person having to deal with different solutions.

Maybe copying to all profiles including default is a good idea. This software meets an SEC requirement and must be on all end user devices.

I will try the above and post back Monday.

Thanks everyone for you’re input – much appreciated.

• Talha
    Participant

Hi,
    use $envAppData -> (e.g. C:\Users\{username}\Appdata\Roaming)

Copy-File -Path “$dirSupportFiles\com.iliumsoft.ewallet.plist” -destination “$envAppData\com.iliumsoft.ewallet.plist”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.