Unmount vhdx on error in script

//Unmount vhdx on error in script
Unmount vhdx on error in script 2016-07-25T12:55:18+00:00

The Toolkit Forums General Unmount vhdx on error in script

• Author
    Participant

I want to check to see if a vhdx is still mounted and unmount it if there’s an error in the install script. I thought I could just put code in the ‘Catch’ section at the end of the ‘Deploy-Applications.ps1’ script. Apparently not.
    Is there anything I can do to make that work?

• That_annoying_guy
    Participant

Test-VHD is probably your best bet https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh848580.aspx

I suspect you need to add -ErrorAction ‘Stop’ to ensure you get a terminal error to get ‘Catch’ to work.

• macxcool
      Participant

I’m not trying to test anything with the vhd, I’m just trying to get some code to run if the script crashes for some reason. I can figure out what to do with the vhd etc.
      I think -ErrorAction ‘Stop’ is the default for the Deploy-Application.ps1 script anyway. It does error out when something catestrophic happens.
      How do I add code to run when the script exits suddenly?

• That_annoying_guy
    Participant

Then your original idea should work UNLESS the error happens before Resolve-Error is declared.

If that is the case, look at the code I proposed in issue 163
    https://github.com/PSAppDeployToolkit/PSAppDeployToolkit/issues/163

• macxcool
    Participant

All I’m doing (I’m sorry, the vhdx was a bit of a red herring) is using Execute-Process with a non-existent executable to trigger the fail. Then I want to insert some code that runs when the fail happens.
    I’d be happy if Write-Host 'Something bad just happened' ran 😉 I can fill in the rest later.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  macxcool.
  • That_annoying_guy
    Participant

I think I’m going to need more info like where are you placing this Execute-Process line in Deploy-Applications.ps1

Maybe the Execute-Process line itself, too.

• macxcool
    Participant

I’m just placing something like Execute-Process -Path 'C:\temp\something.exe' in the Installation section of the script. It’s not very important except that I’m forcing an error to occur, something.exe doesn’t exist.
    Then I put some code in the Catch at the end of the script thinking that it would execute when the function failed.

• That_annoying_guy
    Participant

I tried and got this:

<code>...
    [07-28-2016 12:11:36.410] [Initialization] [Execute-Process] :: [C:\temp\something.exe] is a valid fully qualified path, continue.
    [07-28-2016 12:11:36.445] [Initialization] [Execute-Process] :: Function failed, setting exit code to [60002]. 
    Error Record:
    -------------

Message        : File [C:\temp\something.exe] not found.
    InnerException : 

FullyQualifiedErrorId : File [C:\temp\something.exe] not found.
    ScriptStackTrace      : at Execute-Process&lt;Process&gt;, C:\&lt;path&gt;\PSADT_v3.6.9_Beta\AppDeployToolkit\AppDeployToolkitMain.ps1: line 2766
                            at &lt;ScriptBlock&gt;, C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp\e3523fab-7a02-476f-8eee-0f3ddae37418.ps1: line 2
                            at &lt;ScriptBlock&gt;, &lt;No file&gt;: line 1

PositionMessage : At C:\&lt;path&gt;\PSADT_v3.6.9_Beta\AppDeployToolkit\AppDeployToolkitMain.ps1:2766 char:6
                      +                     Throw &quot;File [$Path] not found.&quot;
                      +                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[07-28-2016 12:11:36.460] [Initialization] [Exit-Script] :: Deploy-Application_v1r1 Installation completed with exit code [60002].
    [07-28-2016 12:11:36.475] [Initialization] [Test-PowerPoint] :: Check if PowerPoint is in either fullscreen slideshow mode or presentation mode...
    [07-28-2016 12:11:36.486] [Initialization] [Test-PowerPoint] :: PowerPoint application is not running.
    [07-28-2016 12:11:36.493] [Initialization] [Test-PowerPoint] :: PowerPoint is running in fullscreen mode [False].
    [07-28-2016 12:11:36.504] [Initialization] [Show-BalloonTip] :: Display balloon tip notification with message [Installation failed.].
    ...</code>

Try to give it a REAL file to look at. Make it a 0 byte file.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.